Tuesday, July 20, 2010

First Post!

Even though this blog doesn't have any readers yet, having been created... oh, about three minutes ago, I figure it has to have a first post, or it'll never have any readers.

My two sisters and I, along with our mother, have recently decided to start an Etsy shop to share our handmade creations with the world.

This blog is where we, the four ladies of Sonja Joyce, will be posting photos and entries about our adventures in crafting as we dabble in media as diverse as yarn, beads, old photographs, fabric, hemp, paper ephemera, beeswax, and embroidery floss.

Adventure #1: I spent most of my afternoon sitting on our living room floor, entranced by the collection of materials we salvaged from our grandmother's house on our recent trip to Mississippi. A big cardboard box filled with crumbling books in Danish, sepia-toned portraits of ancestors from the 1900s, postcards covered in gorgeous, illegible calligraphy, and
even a Western Union telegram from my grandpa in Australia, the day World War II ended: "Coming home darling."

Sorting through dusty old papers may not sound like an adventure to you, but if you're an ephemera junkie like me, then you'll know what I'm talking about. It was like walking through an antique store where all the remnants of the past spell out part of your own history, and it was so interesting.

I've set aside some of the more sentimental items for posterity-- like the telegram-- but since I was the last stop on this box's journey to the trash, I feel little remorse about my plans (already in motion) to upcycle these discards into glorious works of art and crafting supplies for myself and others. Tomorrow I'll post pictures of the framed photograph collage and owl journal that I made today.

That's all for now. Thanks for reading!
-Hannah

1 comment:

  1. Sounds fun! I love climbing up into my grandma's attic and going through the old boxes!

    Can't wait to see some of the pictures of what you create with these things.

    ReplyDelete